The Collection of Sir Jeremy Lever
The firm of Thiébaut frères originated in 1851 and was founded by Victor Thiébaut, who was initially known for casting bronze sculpture including monumental bronzes. His sons Victor (1849-1908) and sculptor Henri (1855-1899) took over from their father around 1875, in 1877 they moved to rue de Villiers and in 1884 they opened a shop on the avenue de l'Opera. They expanded their production to decorative bronzes such as lighting and clocks and the firm took part in many international exhibitions including the 1889 Paris Universelle and the 1893 Chicago Universal Exhibition, where their bronzes were described as 'wonders of casting, chiselling and patina'. The firm was sold in 1901. (See METMAN, Bernard, La petite sculpture au XIX° siècle. Les éditeurs, dans Documents sur la sculpture française. Répertoire des fondeurs du XIX° siècle. Archives de l’art français, t. XXX, Nogent-le-Roi, Libr. des Arts et Métiers, 1989). A closely related pendule à cage was produced by Denière & fils, circa 1880 (see Christie's, The Opulent Eye- 500 Years: Decorative Arts Europe, London 20 September 2012, lot 230). Francois Linke reproduced the related Denière clock after his acquisition of the modèle from the six sales of Denière stock in 1903. With the auction purchase the buyer retained the right to reproduce the model. See Christie, 500 Years: Decorative Arts Europe, 23 September 2010, lot 347 for the comparable version produced by Linke.