A pair of late George III satinwood and painted display cabinets attributed to Seddon
A pair of late George III satinwood, purplewood and polychrome painted display cabinets in the manner of Seddon, Son Shackleton
Each inlaid with boxwood and ebonised lines, the rectangular moulded tops with chequerbanded friezes above part glazed doors with panelling to the lower parts decorated with Prince of Wales feathers, paterae and riband tied leaves enclosing four adjustable shelves, on square tapering legs and spade feet, inscribed to the reverse 'Hope Esq....' ,70cm wide, 41cm deep, 169cm high. (2)
The above lot reflects the sophistication in painted decoration commonly linked with the firm of Seddon, Son Shackleton. \
George Seddon took his son-in-law Thomas Shackleton into the business around 1790 and they traded as Seddon, Son and Shackleton from 150 Aldersgate Street, at one point employing over four hundred men. The firm traded under different names, reflecting which family members were involved in the business; they were styled Seddon, Son and Shackleton for only eight years, from 1790 until Thomas Shackleton (George Seddon's son-in-law) left to go into partnership with George Oakley in 1798. The firm‚Äôs painted furniture is particularly well known from two surviving documented commissions, Hauteville House, St Peter Port, Guernsey (179*?) and Bridwell House, Dorset (1792-3). The Hauteville commission included a set of eighteen painted satinwood elbow chairs with three matching window seats (see 'A Catalogue and Index of old Furniture and Works of Decorative Art, Pt III', M. Harris and Sons, p.386-9) and the Bridwell commission, a satinwood card table and pair of pembroke tables, see C.Gilbert and G.Beard The Dictionary of English Furniture Makers 1660-1840,Leeds 1986, pp.796-7. Christopher Gilbert discusses Seddon, Son Shackleton in his article for Furniture History, London, 1997, pp.1-29.